Flood Prevention Tips
Written On May 3, 2017
It has been several weeks of heavy rain in Toronto, which increases your chance of a flooded basement. The primary reason your basement and home can flood during a rainstorm is due to poor or blocked drainage. To help you keep water from seeping into places it’s not wanted, we offer the following precautionary flood prevention measures you can take to protect your home and its belongings from flooding due to surface water.
SIMPLE FLOOD PREVENTION TIPS
- Since leaves are the biggest contributor to clogged gutters, clean the gutters and the drainage downspouts attached to your roof at least twice a year.
- Make sure that the ground area within 10 feet of your home slopes away from your home’s foundation.
- Extend downspouts at least 10 feet from your home.
- Direct water flow from downspouts away from your home, being careful not to discharge the water too close to adjacent property.
- Have your roof carefully inspected at least once a year by a capable person to check the roof thoroughly for missing shingles, degraded roof components, separation of the roof from chimneys and exhaust pipes, and other roof problems.
- If your house or commercial lot is at risk of flooding from a higher neighbouring property, consider building a solid wall masonry fence on the water-vulnerable boundaries of your property.
- Preventative landscaping can also help reduce the chance of a mudslide or flooding.
- Be vigilant for warning signs of an impending water flood problem. This includes water stains and mould growth on ceilings and walls, the underside of attic roof sheathing, and mould water pooling, water dripping, water leaks, or mould growth anywhere inside your home or business.
- Plan ahead. If flooding occurs, be familiar with how to shut off electricity, gas and water at main switches and valves. Knowing how to do this ahead of time will help you to react quickly and minimize potential damages.
Stay in the Loop!
Everybody likes being an insider, especially when it pertains to exclusive and soon to be released properties. Simply enter your email address and we will keep you apprised of upcoming listings.
You May Also Like
It has been a very busy week of sales for our amazing clients!
The “Humans of Heaps Estrin” blog series concludes this week with our Marketing, Communications and Design Director, Addison Moore.
One of our listings has been featured as Toronto Life’s House of the Week!