We’ve put together six fun facts about the Republic of Rathnelly, an interesting neighbourhood in the heart of midtown Toronto. Located in the shadow of Casa Loma, you’ll find a historic neighbourhood with strong community ties and a long history of fun and rebellion. However, did you know…
1. The Republic of Rathnelly is the worlds smallest Republic.
2. Two large expressways were supposed to be built right through the neighbourhood in the 1950’s.
3. They declared independence from Canada in 1967 and passports were distributed to residents.
4. They used to have their own Queen.
5. They put on a parade bi-annually and close down streets to celebrate with activities.
6. They currently have their own association called RARA – RATHNELLY AREA RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION.
To find out more about this interesting neighbourhood, click on the links below:
History of Rathnelly: http://www.rathnellyrepublic.
Rathnelly Independence: https://www.cbc.ca/news/
Storied History: https://toronto.citynews.ca/
Check out our listing in Rathnelly: 230 Cottingham Street