Our adventures in demolition have continued, with a few new surprises lurking behind the nooks and crannies of our amazing new home. We discovered that many of the floor joists required replacing, which is why you can see all the way to the basement. As well, during the underpinning of the basement, we found huge boulders that were left in place following the original construction, being too heavy to move. We also removed the walls, and after this portion of the project is complete, we will have achieved a nine-foot ceiling height throughout the basement.
We made some key decisions as well, opting for radiant in-floor heat in place of forced air, mainly because I struggle with bulkheads disrupting a space. We also decided to remove the rear addition to make sure that everything at the rear of the house is plumb. Having structural elements that are the least bit out of place affects everything including the window openings, walls and floor alignment. An added bonus here is that we’ve increased our overall square footage as the new walls will be much thinner. We’ve made our final tweaks to the layout and we’re so happy with how the space is going to flow.
Next on the list is the landscaping plan, which is in the final stages of completion. We are so excited to see it come together. In a few weeks, phase two of the project begins as we start the rebuild. Stay tuned!