Chaplin Estates is one of Toronto’s most exclusive neighbourhoods, offering excellent public and private schools, shopping, parks and recreation, and benefits from Toronto’s TTC service.
Landmarks in this bustling neighbourhood include the Beltline Trail, a nine-kilometre walking and cycling path, Oriole Park Junior Public School and the Eglinton Way shopping district.
It’s also home to the well-known Eglinton Theatre and the Neshama Playground, which features a progressive layout designed to accommodate children with disabilities.
Take a walk through this distinguished neighbourhood, and you’ll see many different properties, including Colonial and Georgian revival-style homes, townhouses along Duplex Avenue, newer condos on Yonge Street and Art Deco-style low-rise rentals on Eglinton Avenue West. Today, there are over 6,500 homes in the community which comprises a fairly even split of homeowners and renters: 52% vs 48%.
Most properties here were built in the 1920s and 30s and benefit from premium lots with grassy front yards and private driveway parking – perfect for growing families or those who like entertaining friends and loved ones!
Fun fact: Did you know when the original houses were being built back in the 1920s, every home had to be fully detached and developers were required to include a driveway? Prices ranged between $500 and $9,000.
Population – 4567
Households – 2,177
Average gross household income – $336,381
Median age – 38
Households with children – 55%
If you’re considering a move to Chaplin Estates with a young family, there are plenty of highly-rated private, catholic and public schools in the area.
- The Study Academy – Lower School (Grades 3-8), Upper School (Grades 9-12) and after-school opportunities for Summer camps, Summer school and after-school tuition.
- Oriole Park Junior – The current enrollment is 275 students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 5.
For those who rely on public transport, this neighbourhood is dotted with key bus stops, including those on Yonge Street, Eglinton Avenue, Oriole Parkway and Chaplin Crescent. The Eglinton and Davisville subway stations are easily accessible and within walking distance.
For those who drive, a bustling intersection at Yonge & Eglinton makes travelling downtown or uptown very easy.
The highly anticipated Crosstown LRT, also known as line 5, is a 25-stop line that passes through Chaplin Estates, offering another option of transportation to its residents in the near future. Although its completion date is unknown, it is expected to be open to the public in 2023.
Chaplin Estates offers many amenities to the people who call it home. Already mentioned above is the Neshama Playground at Oriole Park, a sensory playground designed to accommodate children with disabilities and the Beltline Trail, a 9 km walking and cycling path.
Here are some more of our favourites:
- Oriole Park – This park offers several activities and is a community hub for the Chaplin Estates residents who benefit from the Club House. Perfect for: Those who love to play baseball.
- Hip Eateries – there are many beautiful places to grab a bite, including Tabule (Middle Eastern Cusine), Little Sister (Dutch Indo Food Bar), Five Doors North (Homestyle Italian Cusine) and Oretta Midtown (Modern-day Italian Cusine). You should try: The Sampler Platter at Tabule – your choice of 3: Babaganuji, Tabule, Labini or Hummus.
- Coffee – If caffeine is your fix, then Chaplin Estates has two of our favourite places to go. Grab a coffee at: Crosstown Coffee Bar or Rachel’s Coffee House
- Shopping – Head to the Yonge Eglinton Centre, which hosts day-to-day items you might need, as well as catching a movie at the Eglinton movie.
- Specialty stores – Here you can pick up a bunch of fresh flowers from Fanfare or purchase some fresh basil on your way home from La Slumeria – Midtown’s go-to deli! There is also a fantastic Brazillian bakery called Padaria that you have to try.
- General Stores – As well as the other stores mentioned above, Chaplin Estates is home to a mecca of urban convenience. Head to: Farmboy or the local LCBO.
As you can see, the community is generously endowed with just about everything, which is why residents love calling it home.
If Chaplin Estates sounds like your dream neighbourhood then please get in touch with us today! We would love to show you around or provide more information about this exclusive part of the city.