We’re so excited to invite you to join us by giving back this holiday season…
This year, we’ve set up our holiday gift drive in collaboration with two partners: Joy in a Box and The Shoebox Project who both distribute gifts to those who are impacted by homelessness across Canada.
Joy in a Box – A Children’s charitable initiative, designed to teach kids about helping their peers in need; creating empathy and kindness. Click here to learn more.
The Shoebox Project – To share empathy, kindness and compassion with local women impacted by homelessness through the collection and distribution of gift-filled shoeboxes and messages of support. Click here to learn more.
How to get involved:
- Choose a charitable initiative you’d like to support and decide who you’d like to create a box for.
- Pre-school children aged 3-5 years
- School children aged 6-13 years
- High-school children aged 14-18 years
- Women of all ages
- Find a box for your gifts (Use an old shoebox or buy a box)
- Fill up your box with items with longevity/sustainability in mind
- Drop off your unwrapped box at our brokerage (1391 Bayview Avenue) or at The Lobby (1120 Yonge Street)
We look forward to receiving your donations and will place them under our Christmas tree until they are collected on December 12th by our partners. We will sticker the boxes according to sex/age e.g boy aged 6 to ensure they are delivered to the correct person.
Where will your shoebox go?
Joy in a Box will be delivering to Nellie’s Shelter, Reddoor Family Shelter, Ernestine’s Women’s Shelter, Interval House and My Friend’s House.
The Shoebox Project will be delivering to women who are homeless or at risk, including emergency shelters, shelters for victims of abuse, and a wide range of community support services such as drop-ins, transitional & supportive housing.
What to put in your shoebox?
With longevity and sustainability in mind, we’ve put together a list of ideas for each age group below:
- Pre-school (3-5 years old) – Small toys, puzzles, books, stickers
- School (6-13 years old) – Journal, crafts, books, games, gift cards
- High-school (14-18 years old) – Gift cards, note pads, brush
- Women (all ages) – gift cards, toiletries, diary, hand sanitiser, baby supplies
- All – socks, mittens, gloves, scarves, shampoo & conditioner, chocolate/candy
What not to include:
- Used goods
- Unpackaged items
- Sized clothing (i.e. S, M, L, XL)
- Products containing alcohol (ie. mouthwash and sanitizer)
- Foundations, concealers or any product for a specific skin tone
- Tampons & sanitary napkins
- Razors, nail kits or anything that could cause harm
- Jumbo-sized containers
- Perfume and heavily fragranced products
- Donations will be accepted at 1391 Bayview Avenue and 1120 Yonge Street until December 12th.
- Please do not seal your box as they will need to be inspected before they can be delivered.
If you have any questions, please feel free to pop into either one of our locations and a member of our team will be happy to help you!